Dragon Bearded Candy or Cotton Candy is definitely not easy to make. Here’s the ingredients
- Peanuts – dry toast in wok to remove skin and use pestle & mortar crushed it + add sugar + salt for taste
- 2 packets of glutinous rice flour (dry toast in a wok) for 7 mins under low fire
- 1kg coarse sugar
- 500ml water
- 100 gm maltose
- 1 tsp lemon juice / white vinegar
- Boil 1kg of sugar with 500ml of water
- Add maltose and white vinegar (you can substitute with lemon juice)
- Do not stir (This is to prevent sugar from crystallization)
- Boil for 20 minutes – medium fire- you will notice bubbles on top.
- Boil another 10 more mins and turn off your fire let it settle for a while
- Now get ready your plastic gloss with cooking oil
- Pour about 1.5- 2 inch for each plastic
- When its harden at the stage when you can poke you finger into your harden sugar, thats the time you can take out and pull with glutinous rice flour.
- I’ve failed 7 times while i tried to make Dragon Bearded Candy
- 1st time – I use white rice wine and my sugar stays liquid form
- 2nd time – Use artificial vinegar (cuka) failed too – stays liquid form
- 3rd time – 6th time – Didn’t use any vinegar – harden till i can’t poke my fingers into it
- 7th time – Google the internet and found out that i can use lemon juice to substitute white vinegar coz i don’t have white vinegar. I remember i still have syrup made from sugar + lemon juice (used this to make mooncake skin last time. Success in texture. But fail in pulling technique – fail in pulling the candy!)
- Pour sugar into plastic container.. this is bad for health
Harden sugar sticks to my banana leaves.. i wonder if you use plastic, will it sticks the same way too?!
Watch and see how they pull