Ingredients for skin
- 280gm All purpose flour
- 50gm milk powder
- 25gm custard powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 100gm icing sugar
- 100gm cold butter
- 50gm lard cold lard (turn white color after refrigerated overnight) (How to make your own lard)
- 2 eggs (medium B)
- Sunflower seeds / Kuaci
- 1 egg yolk (lightly beaten)
- lotus paste
- melon seeds (bake/roast in oven for 10 mins)
- 8 salted egg yolk (steam first for 10 mins low-medium heat)
- Combine all the above together.
- Sieve all purpose flour, then sieve milk powder, sieve custard powder, then add baking powder, add butter, add lard then finally add eggs.
- Use rubbing method to mix into bread crumbs with fingertips. Knead into a dough.
- Place dough into refrigerator for 30 mins – 45 mins.
- Take out from fridge and scale into 50gm each portion into a ball.
- Use 2 clear small plastic to flatten and roll out each ball into skin. Shape round.
- Now wrap each 60gm lotus paste with the above Shanghai mooncake skin.
- Now, glaze with 1 egg yolk on top and side of your mooncake
- Preheat oven to 180 celcius for 20-25 minutes till golden. (Do not put above part of your baking oven, use the middle part to prevent top getting burnt dark color)
(Makes 8 Shanghai mooncake skin)
- This type of dough should NEVER be kept overnight because it has baking powder. I left overnight in my fridge bottom part because i can’t finish making on that day itself and gosh it’s suppose to be big shanghai mooncake and now it has become mini shanghai mooncake.. heheh.. lesson learnt!
- If your dough a bit dry, add more lard and butter.
- Using 2 plastic to roll your skin is much more easier. Place a clear plastic on your rolling board, then one more plastic above. In between you roll your dough with a rolling pin..
- After storing in fridge for a while (bottom compartment), i’ll usually cool it down to room temperature and bake it for 1 min -2 min preheat to heat it up for more crusty texture.
- Can keep up to 2 weeks in bottom compartment of fridge and if more than 2 weeks it’s better to keep in the freezer. Freezer can go up to 3 months.