Produce around 1.15 kg of kaya
- 2 coconut to make santan (coconut milk extracted without adding water–> pure & undiluted) (approximately 400 ml thick santan) (strain with coffee bag strainer)
- 400 gm sugar – white sugar (caster sugar)
- 9 eggs (size Big) – * if medium eggs use 10
- 1 or 3 pandan leaves (tear middle leaves lightly & tie into a knot for aroma)
- Squeeze santan out (like you’re strangling someone you hate)
- Beat eggs at medium speed (after that strain into sugar) (Beat for 15 seconds)
- Add egg to sugar and beat full speed (1 minute)
- Add santan & beat full speed mix thoroughly (10 seconds)
- When sugar dissolved
- Pour to double boiling pot, cook over slow fire (with constantly stir!!!) (Stir for 35 mins to 1 hour ) till kaya thicken
- When eggy white color turn reddish brown / greenish (if you put more pandan leaves), leave aside cool
- Bottle and refrigerate
Very Important Tips
- If heat is too high, skin of egg will form on the bottom of pan – therefore do not turn heat too high
- If not using pandan, your coconut jam will turn reddish brown in color due to caramalization of sugar
- If kaya lumpy, what you can do is blend it into blender and it will be smooth (remember to remove your pandan leaves first)
- Kaya can keep up to 2 months into fridge (according to other people, but i haven’t tried before so can’t give you an actual answer for this) * Best to eat it within 1 month, if you see mold forming on top then throw away.
- You can extract pandan juice if you want make it more green (Haven’t try before, but i think it needs about 14 pandan leaves to make it really green).
- Kaya if cooked in slow cooker will be very lumpy, require 3 hours of cooking in slow cooker
- Must use a double boiler in order to get a smooth kaya
- Make sure all utensil is free from “water” coz if got water, your eggs will turn lumpy. everything must be DRY!!
- Always use fresh grated coconut and not those from supermarket – then only your kaya will taste nicer and can keep longer
- How much water for your lower double boiler, water should be lightly touching your above pot. Not too much.
- Eggs must be fresh – fresh eggs when you break you will see ROUND yellow yolk.
Success rate is 100% if you follow ingredients and tips exactly as above.
1 comment on “Kaya recipe / Coconut Egg Jam”
Comments are closed.