Kek Lapis Indonesia or also known as Indonesia Layer Cake or lapis legit with multi layer of 14 layers if you use 6 inch cake pan (with removable bottom baking pan). Put a parchment paper at the bottom of your cake pan.
- 12 oz butter (340 gm)
- 2 tbsp condensed milk
- 20 eggs yolks
- 5 oz icing sugar (141 gm)
- 2 oz superfine flour, sifted with
- 1.5 tsp all spice (Chinese 5-spice powder (ng-heung-fun))
- 2 Tbsp brandy (Bought mine at chinese medicine shop selling at RM5.50 small bottle)
- Lined with parchment paper at bottom cake pan and greased 6 inch cake pan. Preheat oven at 380 degrees Farenheit.
- Beat butter and condensed milk till smooth. Leave aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks and icing sugar till pale and thick. (Beat egg yolk till“ribbon stage”). I should have done this, maybe next time ~sigh~
- Fold butter into egg yolk mixture.
- Lastly, fold in sifted flour in 2 batches until combined. Add brandy.
- Turn the oven to grill function. Put cake pan into oven for 1 minute.
- Put a small ladle ( about 2.5 oz) batter into pan and spread evenly. Bake for 5 minutes or till the top is brown.
- Remove from oven and and scoop the same amount of batter for the second layer. Bake each layer about 7 – 10 mins till golden brown. Repeat the same process.
- After you have finished the last layer, turn the oven to bake function. Cover top of the cake with aluminium foil and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes. ( i never cover mine with aluminium foil)
- Remove and cool on wire rack.
Should i try again next time, considering the total of egg yolks!!
Ribbon stage method for egg yolks
Reason why you need to beat the egg yolk till ribbon stage is because
Ovalette is a stabiliser used in baking sponge cakes. It helps the eggs to rise rapidly and stiffly. As it is acidic it also helps the beaten eggs to remain stable and not lose the airy and voluminous texture. It makes sponge cake softer and smoother. – Amy Beh