Kuih Serimuka – Glutinous Rice With Pandan Custard Layer
Glutinous Rice Layer
- 530 g Glutinous Rice, washed and soaked for 1 hour
- 224 ml Coconut Milk (coconut milk soak above 1inch rice level)
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 3 Pandan Leaves, cleaned and tied into a knot
Pandan Custard Layer
- 15 pieces Pandan (cut small and blend with coconut milk)
- 3 Tbsp Tapioca Flour
- 158 gm All-Purpose Flour
- 3 Large Eggs
- 528 ml Coconut Milk (i use 250ml coconut milk + 278ml coconut water) (Make sure you bring ur own mug to collect coconut water when you buy your grated coconut)
- 198 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp – 1.5 tsp of sea salt
- Round tray
- A piece of Banana leaf (to avoid sticky rice sticking to tray)
Soak glutinous rice for 1 hour at least (max 4 hours).
To make the glutinous rice layer:
Mix rice, coconut milk, salt and Pandan leaves in a baking tray. Place banana leaves underneath for better fragrant and taste.
** If you want to make blue pea / Bunga Telang (blue color glutinous rice), separate a little and steam in a smaller bowl (Picked bunga telang from neighbour’s garden or ur own garden about 15 pieces – 20 soaked in a bowl of water, press and mashed with your hands till you get the blue colour out.
Steam the rice mixture over a high heat for 30 minutes until cooked. Remove from the steamer and discard the Pandan leaves. Fluff the rice with a fork and use a banana leaf to press and compact the rice layer.
To make the Pandan custard layer:
Blend cut pandan leaves with coconut milk. Sieve it.
Prepare a big bowl, break 3 eggs and add sugar, dissolved it. Then add all purpose flour, tapioca flour, and blended pandan with coconut milk, add salt.
Mix well and strain the mixture into a clean medium size bowl.
Pour the mixture into the rice layer and continue to steam over a low heat for about 1 hour on medium heat (Too high heat will cause uneven on top layer)
Allow the kuih to cool completely and slice to serve.
Note: I use 3 coconuts for this recipe and collected the coconut water. Avoid using water, use coconut water instead for better taste.