This is a recipe for Tempura Nian Gao unlike the normals ones. It’s more crispy! Best to consume when it’s hot.
Ingredients: For the batter
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch / cornflour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 100ml ice water
- Oil for deep frying
- Sift together dry ingredients
- In mid bowl, beat egg slightly & mix with ice water (use very cold water)
- Stir in the dry ingredients
- Stir in sliced Nian Gao into the bowl.
- Fry the Nian Gao in a heated oil
Tips: Put your bowl of batter beneath a block of ice (very important) in order to make crispy tempura.