Savoury cookies for a change this CNY.
(Makes 4 tall plastic bottles of Spicy Dried Shrimp Cookies)
- 300 gm Spicy Dried Shrimp (Hae Bee Hiam)
- 4 eggs
- 660 gm All purpose flour
- 300 gm caster sugar
- 460 gm butter
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 7 tbsp of paruppu podi powder (for spicy taste and spices taste), if you don’t like you can omit this
- Mix Spicy Dried Shrimp with Flour using your hand, make sure it’s well combined
- Using a mill blender, blend spicy dried shrimp coated with flour until fine powdery (make sure it’s powdery form if you can see the harmai (dried shrimp form), it’s difficult to pipe out later)
- Prepare an electric mixer, and mix butter and sugar together
- Add an egg at a time and add vanilla essence
- Now fold in spicy dried shrimp which you coated with flour and milled earlier into powdery form into your creamed butter and sugar. Add paruppu podi powder.
- Prepare a pan, sprinkle some flour and use star shaped to pipe out long cookies. (I use putu mayam presser or idiyappam presser to pipe long cookies)
- Preheat oven at Gas Mark 3 160 celcius and bake for 10 minutes.
These cookies will burnt easily, so you must always keep an eye on your cookies. Sometimes it takes 9 minutes to bake. Depending on your oven temperature.
Easily pipe out using star nozzle.
Before mill flour and dried shrimp
Step 2 After mill it becomes powdery form
Step 5 Fold with dried shrimp
Spicy Dried Shrimp Recipe (Hae Bee Hiam)
75gm dried chilies
300 gm dried shrimp (har mai)
150 gm shallots
210 gm garlic
1 inch belacan
1/3 cup lard oil / vegetable oil
6 tbsp of sugar
3 tsp of salt
1) Soak dried chillies to soften and blend into paste
2) Soak dried shrimp to soften and blend
3) Dice shallots and garlic, blend into paste together with dried chillies
4) Heat up oil in wok
5) Pour the above paste and fry it, add sugar and salt
6) Cook till it’s dry and brownish
Make this Hae Bee Hiam in advance and keep into fridge, if you don’t want to rush things.