Today i am making Nasi Kunyit or Turmeric Rice because i still have leftover of grated spicy coconut filling from yesterday Pulut Panggang recipe. Since i don’t have any coconut milk for today (tried to squeeze from leaf over grated coconut only manage to get 1% of coconut milk out – better than nothing i guess)… i’ll cheat a bit by substituting coconut milk with milk powdered.
Ingredients for Nasi Kunyit (own version)
- 300 gm glutinous rice (soak at least 1 hour because i’m running out of time!) ** original version should be soaked overnight (or 4 hours min at least)
- 1 piece of dried tamarind slice (dried tamarind)
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder- **original version use 3 tsp of turmeric.. i use 1tsp because i don’t quite like the strong smell
- 1 cup of milk powder (slightly covering your glutinous rice) ** original version use coconut milk
- 1 tsp – 1.5 tsp of salt (depending on your taste bud)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 3 blades of pandan leaves (tear and knot)
- 3 – 4 inch piece of dried mandarin orange skin
- Preboiled your steamer
- Pour milk onto your rice, pandan leaves, turmeric powder, salt, star anise, cinnamon stick and dried tamarind
- Steam for 40 mins to 45 mins.
- Coconut fresh squeezed should be stored into refrigerator or it will turn sour few hours later if you put outside.
- You can substitute coconut milk with milk powder